Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Movement to Bring Back Arranged Marriages Starts Here

That's right. I'm giving up. I quit. The end. El Fin. Koniec. Stop.


I'm impatient. Granted, I'm not feeling and I haven't been feeling all that impatient lately, but this is an occasion to blog about something I think we've lost in our culture (on a semi-serious note): arranged marriages. Life would be so much easier if we still practiced arranged marriages. Granted, this could mean our parents picking out our spouses, but I've talked about this with my mom, even asked her (recently) who she would set me up with if this were still the practice and the norm today. And I confess: not a bad choice. A sensible one. The guy she picks is a guy I've been friends with for, for about 7 years. We're good friends. It's a good place to start, right? We don't have to know everything or like everything about each other...that's what marriage is all about anyway, right? (Ok, that and procreation.) But people change through the course of a marriage anyway, so why not marry someone when maybe you don't know them very well, and when they've been hand-picked by your parents who probably know you better than you think they do?


So, basically, if my parents had a dowry for me (or whichever way that works) I'd be okay with it. Granted, kids may not be something my parents would get for a long time...




And on top of that, I could quit worrying about being an old maid, and get back to focusing on life at hand. Right? Or do we always worry about the future?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hear ya! I'm not married, and you would think I've got 2 heads. The local church doesn't help much in this arena.